top of page
What is Animal Safekeeping?

Leaving an abusive relationship is not an easy thing to do. For the victims of domestic violence who own animals, the decision to leave can be exceptionally difficult. 


Animals may be exposed to and affected by violence in the home. Not only can animals be abused, they can be used as tool for the abuser to control and punish the victim. Pets are seen as part of the family, making it hard for many victims of abuse to leave the home knowing their pet is left behind.

Animal safekeeping programs aims to support the decision making of the victim by providing options to care for pets or livestock that might be in danger. 

What steps can I take to protect my animals?


  • Try to remove the animals from the situation as soon as possible.

  • Ask friends or trusted family members to care for your pet/pets temporarily.

  • Gather supplies that might be useful if you have to leave quickly with your pet: a carrier, a collar and leash, medications.

  • If you are planning to stay at an emergency shelter, explain to them you are concerned about your pet's safety. They may be able to assist you in finding a safe place for your animal.

  • Some animal shelters may be able to provide temporary pet care or help arrange for foster care. Talk with your nearest SPCA or Humane Society to see if they can assist.

  • Contact a kennel to make arrangements to have your pet boarded. Kennels will require proof of vaccinations so remember to bring a recent veterinary invoice with you. (Your veterinarian may be able to supply a full vaccination record directly to the boarding kennel, upon request.)

  • If your animal is being threatened or harmed, keep any evidence you may have (such as photos, emails, or voice mail messages) to hand over to police.

  • Any receipts or paperwork you have related to the purchase or care of your pet can be useful if you have to prove ownership. 

  • Report animal abuse to the proper authorities. They will investigate the situation and take appropriate action. You can make an anonymous complaint.

What can I do if my pet has been abused?​


Report animal abuse to one of the organizations listed on the "resources" page or to your local RCMP or municipal police. They will investigate the situation and take appropriate action. You can make an anonymous complaint.

The Animal Protection Act, 2018 makes it illegal for a person to cause or allow an animal to continue to be in “distress.” An animal is in distress if it is:

(a) deprived of:

(i) food or water sufficient to maintain the animal in a state of good health;
(ii) care or shelter; or
(iii) veterinary care or medical attention;


(b) in need of reasonable protection from injurious heat or cold;


(c) wounded, ill, in pain, suffering, abused or neglected;


(d) kept in conditions that:

(i) are unsanitary;
(ii) will significantly impair the animal’s health or well-being over time;
(iii) cause the animal extreme anxiety or suffering; or
(iv) contravene the prescribed standards, codes of practice or guidelines;




(e) abandoned by its owner or by a person responsible for the animal in a manner that causes, or is likely to cause, distress resulting from any or all of the factors listed in this section.

Please visit If Your Animals Are In Danger for information on how to report abuse or neglect of animals.

What is animal safekeeping?
Resources for People


Kids Help Phone | 1-800-668-6868

Kids Help Phone is a 24/7 counselling service for youth throughout the country. The hotline provides the opportunity for kids to connect to a counselor and discuss anything and everything without judgement. The service is completely anonymous and is offered in both French and English. Recently, the program has been expanded beyond a phone service, and youth can now connect to a counselor through the program via a live chat in their web browser or by downloading a free app. For more information, visit their website here. is Canada's national tipline for reporting the online sexual exploitation of children. Here, you can report cases related to: online child sexual abuse material, luring a child, non-consensual distribution of intimate images of an individual under 18 years of age, making sexually explicit material available to a child, agreement or arrangement with another person to commit a sexual offence against a child, commercial sexual exploitation of a child, trafficking of children, or travelling to sexually exploit a child. 


Clare's Law

Clare's Law, legally known as The Interpersonal Violence Disclosure Protocol Act, authorizes a police service to disclose certain risk-related information to a current or former intimate partner in cases where such information can assist them in making informed decisions about their safety and relationship. Police may disclose whether their review leads them to advise that the applicant is at high, medium or low-risk from the subject of the application, as well as any relevant convictions. The disclosure must be accompanied by a safety plan tailored to the needs of the person at risk.


Individual's have the "right to ask" by applying to a police service for a disclosure, or a police service can disclose information to an individual due to their "right to know" of potential harm.

211 Saskatchewan

211 Saskatchewan is a free, confidential, and searchable website of human services in Saskatchewan, with over 6,000 listings of social, community, non-clinical health, and government services across the province. The categories of listings include, but are not limited to, mental health and addictions, homelessness, income support, health care, food security and community programs. For more information, please call or text 211, or click here.

Farm Stress Line | 1-800-667-4442

Farm Stress Line is a 24/7, anonymous crisis counselling service that seeks to provide support and information to rural individuals and their families. They provide non-judgmental support while working diligently to address your specific needs and concerns. For more information, please contact them directly at 1-800-667-4442. 

HealthLine 811811

HealthLine 811 is a 24/7 provincial health and support telephone service.  Staffed by specifically trained individuals and healthcare professionals, HealthLine is a free and confidential service for those seeking healthcare advice. For more information, click here, or call them directly at 811 or 1-877-800-0002. 



Provincial Association of Transition Houses and Services of Saskatchewan (PATHS) | 306-522-3515

PATHS is the member association for 21 domestic violence shelters and services across Saskatchewan. Contact information for these agencies can be found on the PATHS website.


Fact sheets and information on intimate partner violence, promising practices for working with survivors of violence, and more can be found on the PATHS website at or by phoning 306-522-3515.

Ministry of Social Services | 1-866-221-5200

The Ministry of Social Services strives to aid citizens in areas of financial support, affordable housing, family and child programs, and services for persons with disabilities. There are a numerous centres across the provinces that can provide a wide range of programs and support. For more information, click here, or phone 1-866-221-5200.

Victim Services

The Victim Services program works closely with police and assist victims in the immediate aftermath of a crime or tragedy and throughout the criminal justice process. 


Services offered, provided by staff and volunteers, include:

  • crisis intervention

  • information

  • support

  • referrals to other specialized programs and services


Family Service Regina306-757-6675


Family Service Regina can provide individuals with a wide range of services that include, but are not limited to, counselling, safety planning, help finding a shelter, and support groups. For more information, please contact them directly at 306-757-6675.

Regina Mobile Crisis Services | 306-757-0127

Regina Mobile Crisis Services is a 24/7 emergency service that provides domestic violence aid to individuals within Regina and throughout rural Saskatchewan. The staff can assist with emergency intervention orders, counselling for either party, arranging shelter, developing a safety plan, transportation, and referrals to other organizations among other services. For more information, please contact them directly at 306-757-0127.

Family Service Saskatoon | 306-244-0127

Family Service Saskatoon is an organization devoted to helping individuals and families build and maintain healthy relationships. They offer a wide variety of individual and group counselling sessions as well as support programs, with many focused specifically on domestic violence issues. For more information, please contact them directly at 306-244-0127. 

Saskatoon Crisis Intervention Services | 306-933-6200

Saskatoon Crisis Intervention Services offers a 24/7 mobile crisis service within the city of Saskatoon. Their staff can aid individuals with a variety of needs based on an individualized risk assessment. For more information, please contact them directly at ​306-933-6200. 

Resources for people
If you are in danger
Suggestion: Can we link to the PATHS website where they list the same information?

Emergency Shelters in Saskatchewan

Fort Qu'Appelle

Qu’Appelle Haven Safe Shelter

(306) 332-6881

La Ronge

Piwapan Women’s Centre
(306) 425-3900

Lloydminster (AB)

Lloydminster Interval Home

(780) 875-0966

Meadow Lake

Waskoosis Safe Shelter
(306) 236-5570


Northeast Outreach & Support Services


Moose Jaw

Moose Jaw Transition House
(306) 693-6511

North Battleford

Battlefords Interval House
(306) 445-2742

Prince Albert

Prince Albert Safe Shelter for Women
(306) 764-7233

YWCA Prince Albert
(306) 763-8571


Regina Transition House
(306) 569-2292

Wichihik Iskwewak Safe House (WISH)
(306) 543-0493

YWCA Isabel Johnson Shelter
(306) 543-0493


Saskatoon Interval House
(306) 244-0185

YWCA of Saskatoon
(306) 244-2844

Swift Current

Southwest Crisis Services
(306) 778-3386


Project Safe Haven
(306) 778-3386

Shelwin House
(306) 783-7233

Second stage shelters in Saskatchewan

Prince Albert

Prince Albert Safe Shelter for Women
(306) 764-7233


(306) 565-2537

Wichihik Iskwewak Safe House (WISH)
306) 543-0493


Adelle House
(306) 668-2761

Swift Current

Southwest Crisis Services
(306) 778-3386

Counselling & Support Centres in Saskatchewan


Envision Counselling & Support Centre
(306) 453-2405


Envision Counselling & Support Centre
(800) 214-7083
(306) 637-4004

Hudson Bay

Hudson Bay Family and Support Centre
(306) 865-3064


PARTNERS Family Services
(306) 682-4135


North East Outreach and Support Services
(800) 611-6349
(306) 752-9464


Envision Counselling & Support Centre
(306) 483-5555

Prince Albert

Prince Albert Safe Shelter for Women
(306) 764-7233


Family Service Regina
(306) 757-6675


Family Service Saskatoon
(306) 244-0127

Swift Current

Southwest Crisis Services
(306) 778-3386


Envision Counselling & Support Centre
(306) 842-8821


Society for the Involvement of Good Neighbours (SIGN)

(306) 783-9409

If You Are in Danger​


There are a variety of services available for those in need. If you require assistance, contact a shelter in your area.

If you are in immediate danger, contact 911 immediately.

To report abused or neglected animals:

Contact an Animal Protection Agency in your area.

In Regina:

Regina Humane Society

Elsewhere in Saskatchewan:

Animal Protection Services of Saskatchewan

1-306-382-0002 |

If your concern is an emergency or after normal business hours:

Please contact your local city police or RCMP detachment.

​​Estevan Police Service



File Hills First Nations Police Service



Moose Jaw Police Service



Prince Albert Police Service



Regina Police Service



Saskatoon Police Service



Weyburn Police Service


Click here to find an RCMP detachment in Saskatchewan

If your animals are in danger
If Animals Are in Danger: Reporting Animal Abuse


If you suspect an animal is being abused or neglected, please report it to the proper authorities immediately.​

If Children Are in Danger: Reporting Child Abuse


If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, you have a legal duty to report it to the proper authorities.​ If a child is in immediate danger, contact 911 immediately.

To report child abuse:

Contact a Child Protection Agency in your area or the nearest First Nation Child and Family Service agency.

Child Protection Line (Regina)



Child Protection Line (Saskatoon)


Child Protection Line (Prince Albert)


After hours, contact your nearest Crisis Centre:

Regina Mobile Crisis Services: 306-569-2724


Saskatoon Crisis Intervention Service: 306-933-6200

Prince Albert Mobile Crisis Unit: 306-764-1011

Reporting online child sexual abuse and missing children: 

Canadian Centre for Child Protection

If Children Are In Danger
bottom of page